Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Marc’s new (relatively) book, “It Will Never Work” is a really wonderful book. I like it because Marc seems to be very honest about himself, Reed Hastings, and the birth and growth of Netflix. I’m not surprised since “radical honesty” is a hallmark of the culture at Netflix.
Marc was very revealing in this interview. He answers these questions:
- Why did he write and published his book so many years after he left Netflix?
- Why was his family such a big part of his startup success?
- Where did the title of his book come from?
- What happened when Marc shared his book with Reed Hastings (Co-Founder and Current CEO) before it was published?
- What does he mean by “radical honesty?”
- What were Marc’s strengths and weaknesses as a Co-Founder and leader and what were and are Reed Hastings strengths and weaknesses as a Co-Founder and leader?
- What REALLY happened when Reed Hastings told Marc that he does not think Marc can lead the company by himself any more?
- What is his advice to Founders who are told they are not a good fit leading the company they started?
- How can fast-growth Founders stay close to the customer when they are so busy?
- What does Marc think about the recent emergence of HBO Max as a competitor to Netflix?
Name: Marc Randolph
Headquartered In: Netflix is headquartered in Los Gatos, California
Marc’s Book: That Will Never Work: The Birth of Netflix and the Amazing Life of an Idea
Powerful Promise of Value: Netflix lets you watch movies & TV shows online or stream right to your smart TV, game console, PC, Mac, mobile, tablet and more.